Monday 6 April 2009

Street Style: Jump...for Neon!

Neon Brights, Ra-Ra Skirts, Power Dressing, Prince, Shoulder Pads (wheeeeee!), Silky nylon jogging suits, Acid & Stonewashed jeans,Cyndi Lauper, Tube/Bandage dresses (remember the Robert Palmer "Simply Irresistible" girls-who didn't want to be one of them growing up in the 80's?!), Bubblegum jeans (what were those things made of? they went from teeny tiny teenage wrist size to teenage leg size in a nanosecond), Madonna, Ankle Zip jeans, Parachute pants (yeah, you know those breakdancing drop-crotch 'MC "You Can't Touch This*" Hammer' pants which kind of looked like you were walking around with a full nappy), Bodysuits, Michael Jackson, Playsuits, Spandex, Spandex and even more Spandex, Culture Club, Spandau Ballet.....

YES, most Excellent Blog Fans- it's the 80's and they're BAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCKKKKKKK!!!Anyone reading this live through the 80's first time around? I'd love to hear what you wore back in the 80's: poodle perms, mullets, fluro socks, off-the-shoulder slouchy tee's, hugh plastic earrings, which were predominately clip-on because they were SO big and heavy, teased fringes, legwarmers, frosted pink lipstick, punk- let me hear about your fabulous (and/or cringeworthy) moments!

I love that fashion is having a fun, 80's flashback moment (a response to the current economic climate perhaps?) and the adorable Ellrimmer I photographed here shows how to do in a young, fresh way. I think the way she has teamed the little pink neon skirt with a very non-80's sweater and jacket looks fabulous and (teen)age-appropriate.

So, if you "did" the 80's first time around, are you too old to do it a second time? Hell No! Okay, so maybe you might want to give the ra-ra skirt a miss if your legs aren't quite up to Kate Moss standard but a little neon here and there (Lanvin have a divine fuchsia cocktail ring which would look great worn with neutrals, or team a pair of towering fluro yellow pumps with a black pantsuit), a tight pair of acid washed jeans worn with a heel to lengthen the leg, a Balmain-ish inspired jacket (all about the strong shoulder), a pair of Harem pants, a boyfriend jacket or a skin-tight Hervé Léger bandage dress all whisper Girls Just Wanna Have Fun rather than screaming it through iridescent purple lips as we did back in the 80's :)

Now, just where did I put my hair scrunchie, my cropped "Choose Life" t-shirt, my white mesh singlet top, my perforated white lace-up booties, my purple tube skirt, my hot pink satin shirt that I wore with my oversized purple jumper (and the aforementioned tube skirt-eek!), my stonewashed highwaisted jeans, my rollerskates......


Thank you so much Ellrimmer for doing "The jump" and the Easter Bunny ears. You rocked it!


*Predominately because he was wearing so much fabric below his waist!

No comments:

Post a Comment